B.A. cum laude, Political Science — Bryn Mawr College, Bryn Mawr PA 1995. Minors in Feminist/Gender Studies, East Asian Studies; senior thesis on New Social Movements
AmSAT Certification, Alexander Technique — The Alexander Educational Center, Berkeley CA 2006–2009. 1600 hours of teacher training according to international standards, encompassing 5:1 student:teacher ratio daily class instruction, supervised work, independent study
American Society for the Alexander Technique (AmSAT) — Member since 2005. 2013–2017 Board of Directors, committee liaison: Research, Continuing Education, Membership, Annual Conference and General Meeting Planning and Policy Taskforce
Alexander Teachers of the Mountain Region — Asheville NC 2009–present. Participate in and seasonally lead monthly professional seminars and yearly planning meeting with colleagues; created and maintain collective website
Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, The University of North Carolina. Asheville NC 2010–present. Teach 4-, 6-, and 8-week courses for active older adults to improve mental and physical agility in everyday life, musicianship, athletics, relationships.
Visiting Instructor, Alexander Technique Training Courses. 2016 — Alexander Technik Schule Berlin Kreuzberg, director Jörg Aßhoff; Schule für Alexander-Technik Berlin, director Dan Armond; Alexander-Technik Ausbildung Freiburg, director Aranka Fortwängler; 2013 — École Technique F. M. Alexander de Paris pour Professeurs, director Odyssée Gaveau; Centre de Formation de la Technique Alexander, director Agnès de Brushoff
New York Studio for Stage and Screen. Woodfin NC 2014–2015. Private lessons and 6-week courses for actors in movement, character and reaction fluency.
Recreation Department, The University of North Carolina. Asheville NC 2010–2014. 6-week courses for staff and community members.
Oshun Mountain Sanctuary. Asheville NC 2014. 8-week course for Sanctuary guests and community members.
Body-Mind Centering® — Developed by Bonnie Bainbridge Cohen, Body-Mind Centering® is an experiential study based on the embodiment and application of anatomical, physiological, psychophysical and developmental principles, utilizing movement, touch, voice and mind.
Endocrine System (8 hours) November 2017, Asheville NC
Basic Neurocellular Patterns (49 hours) June 2017, Asheville NC
Introduction to Body-Mind Centering®: Cells, Fluids, Bones, Organs (60 hours), Sept.–Dec. 2016, Asheville NC
BMC® for Alexander Technique Teachers (8 hours), March 2015, Berlin, Germany
BMC® for Yoga (20 hours), October 2014, Asheville NC
Ortho-Bionomy — A non-invasive body therapy based on osteopathy, Ortho-bionomy facilitates change in stress and pain patterns.
Spine (16 hours) September 2015, Extremities (12 hours) August 2016, Asheville NC
Alexander Technique — Alexander Technique is a system of organizing thought and movement to facilitate poise, coordination, skill development, freedom from strain and limitation, all day, every day.
Raymond Dart and the Dart Procedures (8 hours) with Erik Bendix, February 2015, Berlin, Germany
Art of Skiing 10-day workshop as film crew and participant with Erik Bendix, February 2015, Hasliburg, Switzerland
Alexander Technique Milwaukee (45 hours) on teacher training course supervised by co-directors Luc Vanier and Matthew Ventura, December 2015, Milwaukee WI
Ease of Being (20 hours) with Tommy Thompson, April 2015, Cincinnati OH
Ease of Being (8 hours) with Tommy Thompson, October 2013, Boone NC
Teachers Refresher Course, Alexander Technique Urbana (17 hours) with Dart Procedures creators Joan and Alex Murray, June 2012, Urbana IL
- Secrets of Natural Walking, Level One Workshop (8 hours), April 2017, Asheville NC
- Vipassana Meditation(5 hours) with Michael Johnson, January 2017, Asheville NC
- Metta Meditation(5 hours) with Michael Johnson, February 2017, Asheville NC
- Yoga Sutra Essentials(15 hours) with Stephanie & Michael Johnson, December 2011, Asheville NC
- The Heart of Meditation(3 hours) with Michael Johnson, October 2010, Asheville NC
- Vision improvement lessonswith Nathan Oxenfeld, Integral Eyesight Improvement, 2013–2015, Asheville NC
- Pilates Mat Certification 2005, Asheville NC
- Landmark Educationcourses include Landmark Curriculum for Living, Sex & Intimacy, Money, Integrity, Communication, Being Extraordinary; volunteer as Leader Support, program assistant, coach for Self-Expression and Leadership Program: 1998–2001, Philadelphia PA and 2007, San Francisco CA
- PAX Programs International The Queen’s Code: Celebrating Men, Satisfying Women (15 hours), 2008, San Francisco CA; Understanding Men (15 hours) and advanced curriculum (45 hours), 2017 online
LEAD PRESENTATIONS, 2010–Present
- Occupational Therapists of Kingsport TN
- North Carolina Interpreters for the Deaf, Asheville NC
- Doula Association for the Mountain Area, Asheville NC
- Mountain BizWorks Women Entrepreneurs Conference, Asheville NC
- A-B Tech Staff Professional Development, Asheville, NC
- Concord High School performing arts students, Concord NC
- AmSAT Annual Conference attendees, Long Beach CA
- Black Mountain Community Gardeners, Black Mountain NC
- Lake Eden Arts Festival, Black Mountain NC
- Tango community, Asheville NC
- 10th International Alexander Technique Congress, August 2015, Limerick, Ireland
- First International Alexander Teachers Convention, March 2013, Dublin, Ireland
- American Society for the Alexander Technique (AmSAT) Annual Conference: 2014, Boston MA; 2013, Long Beach CA, 2013, Chicago Il; 2009, San Francisco CA; 2007, Minneapolis MN; 2005, Charlottesville VA
- Alexander Technique Teachers of the Mountain Region, Asheville NC. 2.5hours monthly, 2009–present; retreats 2016, 2015, 2014, 2012, 2011 (also listed under appointments)
PRODUCTION, ADMINISTRATION, SERVICE
- 1995–2001, Publishing. Philadelphia, PA area. Proofreader, Nesbitt Graphics; Production Editor, Lippincott-Raven; Project Manager, Ruttle, Shaw & Weatherill
- 1995–2006, Production potter of porcelain dinnerware. Managed all aspects of sole proprietorship. 2 years as Resident Artist, Odyssey Center for Ceramic Arts, Asheville NC. Completed 2-year Professional Crafts certification, Haywood Community College, Clyde NC
- Distinguished service as executive assistant, on-site manager of pharmaceutical events, retail store manager, school community relations ambassador, yoga center office administrator and creator of procedures manual (references available upon request)
Erik Bendix, www.movingmoment.com; Asheville NC 828-298-5515, email@example.com. Teacher of Alexander Technique, Body-Mind Centering®, International Folk Dance, Ease on Skis
Sarah Barker, www.easyalexander.com; Columbia SC 803-622-3035, firstname.lastname@example.org. Teacher of Alexander Technique and Associate Professor of Theatre, Department of Theatre and Dance, University of South Carolina
Idelle Packer, M.S., P.T., www.idellepacker.net; Asheville NC 828-329-7761, email@example.com. Teacher of Alexander Technique, Licensed Physical Therapist, lifelong dancer
Charlotte Anderson, www.charlotteanderson.com; Kingsport TN 423-963-3703, firstname.lastname@example.org. Teacher of Alexander Technique and Voice, professor at Milligan College
Meredith McIntosh, LMBT; Asheville NC 828-258-8840, email@example.com. Teacher of Alexander Technique, Zen meditation, professional musician
PERSONAL AND STUDENT RECOMMENDATIONS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST